Thursday 29 May 2014

York

We woke up in Ilkley at Ewan and Louise's to find it was still raining and the temperature was nothing like what it should be for the end of May.  There would be no need to ensure that I was wearing my sun screen. The one benefit would be that my charge would not be stripping down to his cycling shorts. Not a pretty sight.   After saying our goodbyes we peddled into the town. It was early and we had just over thirty miles to cover to make the evening concert in York. We could afford some time in Ilkley.  There is a Betty's Tea shop and we felt it would be rude not to sample their service.   We got into tourist mode. After purchasing postcards Richard was waiting in the street for the restaurant to open when he received a cal from Ewan to inform him that he had left his rucksack behind.  I could make no comment as only a week ago I left my telephone on a bench after a pit stop! Kindly, Ewan brought the offending rucksack to us and we said goodbye again. Betty's was very pleasant indeed. No complaints there,  for a change.     When we finally set off at 10.00 the fine rain was still falling and so it did for much of the morning ride.   We had a good route off the beaten track and without too many hills to climb and for that reason progress was brisk. We did not stop until we were approaching Wetherby. Good ground and no incidents apart from a badly judged passing manoeuvre on Mr. Durrant who thought I was attempting to run him into the hedge. Now would I try and do that! Tempting.  I, of course, made an unreserved apology.   No stopping in Wetherby. We pushed on across the Vale of York and arrived in the city just a few minutes short of 14.00  Unfortunately my bike has developed an irritating clicking noise which I need to get to the bottom of.   The venue for this evening was in the Early Music Centre.  We picked our way across the city and found the place with little trouble.  Within easy reach of the shops,  we ventured out.  We had one or two errands to catch up on.   We needed another light for the show having lost one through wear and tear, not my treatment of them I must add.    Our search took us to Argos where we took possession of a desk lamp intended to throw more white light on the artiste when in performance. Time would tell.   I visited Lloyds Bank to carry out some business. They don't look the same now when you walk in.  How much has the makeover at Lloyds cost?      It must be expensive. I was charged £30.00 to transfer money from one bank account to another.   I was informed I could do it for free using on line banking.  At my age I still wish to receive service from a human being.  That service now comes at a high price.   Banks can get away with anything as we all know too well. End of rant.   Back to business.  We returned to the venue to set up the show.  I was eager to test out our new light.  As it turned out my cheap torch throws out more light on the maestro and that would have to suffice for the time being.  It was back to the drawing board on the that  front. Like a well oiled machine now we were up and ready in good time. Ticket sales were not great which was disappointing but that does not stop the show from going on.    Performance was excellent.  More turned up for the show on the door. The acoustic in this former church was rich and ideal. After packing up we had a short ride to our hotel. We had an altercation with the manager earlier in the evening  when confirming our booking with the hotel, Knavesmire Manor.  We had booked a twin room on line only to be told that the room we had been allocated was a double.    Now there are many things I am prepared to do in my position as manager of all things including sharing a room but not a bed.  A point I made fairly strongly to, Basil, the manager.   I had to explain whilst we were on tour we were not Morcambe and Wise and there could be no bed sharing going on.    Customer service was not engaged by the manager who said it was my fault when booking on line.   My first call ended  in stalemate.  I was just about to ring back to ask a for a mattress to be put on the floor and the manager phoned me to say he had been able to make alternative arrangements.   Now it appeared nothing was too much and drinks and sandwiches, on the house, would be in our room. I was pleased that this crisis had been averted.     I was pleased for the hotel too as I had already started to compose my response for Trip Advisor.    After taking in a late curry supper, there could be trouble later,  we got to the hotel at 11.30  As it turned out there was a double bed and two singles. The tour has now covered 795 miles and we have completed 17 concerts.   Pickering our most northerly point would be reached tomorrow. Bon nuit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment