Saturday 10 May 2014

Beside the Seaside

We decided that we would take an early breakfast as there was no long ride.  A chance to regroup after the trials and tribulations of last night. I had regained my own composure. There had been a couple of difficult moments to cope with which I will not cover in detail.   I took a leisurely time sorting out gear and doing a little bit of personal washing.  You have to keep on top of these details. This laundry service, I must tell you and make public, I have not offered to the Maestro.  I do know my place in the scheme of things, despite the promotion, but feel that you have to draw a line in the sand beyond which you will not go.  Washing the artiste's smalls is not something I feel I should do.  It would be demeaning and quite frankly I feel that managing his own requirements in this area will help him to remain grounded whilst on the tour.     I descended to breakfast expecting to be on my own as R had informed me  that I would not see him till later.  I think he had been overcome by a wave of depression on the late night ride. He had obviously recovered for as I entered the dining room he was already ensconced at his table and his poached eggs on toast had not only been ordered but eaten.   I was invited to join his table for my breakfast and took poached eggs with a pork and leek sausage.   I always have my doubts about mixed flavour sausages.   I prefer the straight traditional homemade pork  sausage.   Most enjoyable and welcome after the energy used in getting to the Steamer Hotel.      It was a very pleasant morning on the front here in Shanklin and following breakfast I went for a short walk on the prom.    It turns out that Pluto the pipeline which took fuel over the channel to Normandy after D Day commenced from this coastline.   I managed to secure postcards to send to the family including a couple of the old fashioned seaside risqué ones to send to selected friends who have that sort of sense of humour.  I will not name names.    There were other duties to complete including writing this blog.  RD had returned to his room for a little R and R.   When I finally called him he  informed me that he had been catching up on his social media duties.  Now just what is that code for?     We arranged to rendezvous for a sort out on the bikes as we now had the dry bags.    This exercise  went well and shortly  after we decided to depart for Newport,some twelve miles away, the location of our evening gig.  A gentle peddle down to Sandown on the promenade in search of a cycle path which would take us,all the way,  off road.    What a delightful ride it turned out to be. All but a few sections have an even surface and make for a very safe journey.  The cycle path uses the track of an old railway.    On route we stopped for tea and scones at Strollers Beach Cafe.  Homemade by Rosie, the scones were perfect.  Sadly I spoilt the true experience here by failing to order the cream tea.    Lack of clotted cream rather unsettled R and may have  lead to a reassessment of my ability to service his various  requirements.       You will be pleased to hear that this clear  failing on my part was soon forgotten when a little while later when discussing the evening show I rather nervously suggested the inclusion of Honeysuckle Rose.   R felt that this was inspired and all was well.     We reached the Bargeman's Rest a little before 17.00 in good time to set up for the evening show at 20.30       Richard was not confident about the setting.    My artiste, if I can use that term, does not perform to people as they eat.  He is not a pub act.  However we had to get on with things as they are and not as we may want them to be.   A fine dinner was served to us before the show,  salmon in a mustard sauce with a large mixed salad.    I would have rather enjoyed a bread roll with my meal but this was not available, sadly.   The pub was packed with diners but few had come to specifically listen to the show.      My admiration, although always high, for R rose as he delivered a performance to the few interested guests which was nothing short of perfect in terms of length and diversity.  New pieces had been added for the evening including the suggestion from yours truly.    Sadly some revellers in the pub were unaware of audience  etiquette and R had to halt his  performance, mid piece,  to take issue with a particularly loud person.  Talking of etiquette during R's introduction to the Honeysuckle Rose my excitement about the impending rendition got the better of me and almost by reflex I started to stamp my foot. The result was a Paddington hard stare from the already irritated performer followed swiftly by an unreserved apology from me to the throbbing sold out audience in response. I have assured Mr Durrant  that this rather amateurish action on my part will not be repeated. Boy I was close to losing the stripe there.   Performance    ordeal complete we packed up and departed retracing our route, in the dark, down the cycle path.  We were well and truly lit up after a visit to Maplin earlier in the day.    Just to keep us on our toes or in our peddles the last ten minutes of the ride to the Steamer Hotel included a heavy downpour. Thank goodness we had the dry bags.  All safe and sound. We hit the hay rather hungry it must be said. 

1 comment: