Monday 2 June 2014

Lincoln

The Holiday Inn was ideal.  Comfortable, clean and good value on a Sunday night. The breakfast was most enjoyable and set us up for the day.   There had been rain overnight but no need to start with the wet weather gear on.  We have been lucky so far. Long may  it last. I studied  the map in some detail in order to establish a route which would keep us well off the beaten track. No performance tonight so we had all day to reach the city of Lincoln just forty miles away.  We hoped to get to Maplin Electronics as my light show was fading fast and we needed to keep our star turn in the spotlight.    I fairly late departure a little after 10.00    Back towards the city centre and then out past  the racecourse and on my chosen route. My bike felt pretty sluggish but I just put it down to the wear and tear on the rider himself.   I had started to think that secretly Mr.D had succumbed to the temptation of taking a little something to enhance his performance on the road.  He was well ahead of me as we exited the town. I battled on.   Twice before I have stayed in Doncaster.  Once in the early seventies my car, a blue blue Vauxhall Viva, broke down travelling back to Manchester on the A1 and I was forced to spend the night here. The second occasion, few years ago now, I attended a balloon meet around New Year.  I think it was called The Brass Monkey Meet.  Along with many friends, John and Debbie, Andy and Maggie to name just four. Did the unsteady well into the night. Those were the days!    I struggled on in second position towards our midway point at Gainsborough.   Due to an accident, we hope nobody was seriously hurt, we had three miles of dual carriageway all to ourselves on the run in.  My bike was not in good order the back wheel buckled again and a spoke out. Could be something to do with my weight!! Used the Around Me app on the I phone. Telephoned Gainsborough Cycles and Trevor Halstead answered. Just a mile off our route.  What is it about cycle shops and mechanics? Cycling angels. Travel and trust comes to mind. We have not been let down yet. Once again he dropped what he was doing to get us on our way.  This time a new back wheel was required together with a tyre. The poor old Norco really has been in the wars on this trip.    Thanks Trevor.  He also gave us a good route into Lincoln with the last four miles on a cycle path taking us directly into the centre of the city.  Need a bike shop in the Gainsborough area  www.gainsboroughcycles.co.uk. After the pit stop I was back on form. It was not the body after all,  it was the bike. Through the afternoon I was able get the bike going at full speed.    Lincoln was soon on the horizon.  A great view of the wonderful cathedral from six miles out lit by the sun. This pm the artiste felt something go and once more his back wheel threw a spoke and this slowed him up for the run into the city.  Another bike shop in the morning would be required.   The cycle path was wonderful and took us close to Maplin where, without authority from base, money was liberally spent on upping the lighting equipment.    As chief lighting technician much would be expected of me at the forthcoming performance in Hemingby on Wednesday night.     The maestro spotted a smoke machine in the store.  I think he was tempted.  Oh dear.   This is getting very like Spinal Tap on two wheels.   I quickly established where the hotel for night was and we had no difficulty locating it.  Louise must be mentioned here for booking it.   A delightful place with a warm welcome. Nothing too much trouble including bringing the bikes indoors for security.   It seemed to come well within the criteria and standards required by our ever picky artiste.   I only hope we have fresh coffee at breakast for if not the place will be given a very low rating indeed.    We enjoyed a Chinese before returning to work on a new video blog.     On this tour the show is never over even if the fat lady has sung.  I got back to my room at 11.30.    953 on the clock. Gradually we creep to the 1,000 mile point. 

1 comment:

  1. An erudite account of the days events as usual Shaun. As you head south, dont forget to seek out the Lincolnshire Poacher and the Fen Tigers....

    ReplyDelete